Windows 7 - Are we ready for Virtual Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Virtual Wi-Fi. Windows 7 RC. Broadcom 802.11g Wireless Network AdapterEarlier today I went to my friend office with my Compaq Presario loaded with Windows 7 RC.
I was reading Long Zheng blog then. 1 interesting post in his blog is about Virtual WiFi or VWiFi in Windows 7. I'm not going explain what Virtual WiFi or VWiFi in detail.
This is from Long Zheng blog

"In essence, how Virtual WiFi works is very similar to how virtualization works for operating systems which most people are familiar with - the transparent sharing of limited hardware resources to many operating systems. Virtual WiFi, abbreviated to VWiFi, is a software layer that abstracts the wireless LAN card hardware into multiple virtual adapters. The software handles the connections of each adapter to ensure every adapter has an opportunity to connect to their respective networks limited by time. The result is an operating system none-the-wiser and acts as if you have multiple WLAN hardware adapters working independently."

Read the full article at istartedsomething.com

Here's what I want to share.
On my Windows 7 desktop , I right click on Network then choose Properties. Then I choose Change Adapter Setting.I see just exactly what Long say in his blog post. The Virtual Wi-Fi. Microsoft Virtual Wi-Fi Miniport Adapter. Here are the screen shot.


Microsoft Virtual Wi-Fi Miniport Adapter properties
Microsoft Virtual Wi-Fi. Sharing tab. internet sharing option available
Microsoft Virtual Wi-Fi power screen
I can't do much since I'm not connected to any wireless device at home. Maybe I should get a wireless adapter for my desktop pc so that I can do more testing.

7 Comments

  1. how do you actually stablish a connection, I also have that but I can't seem to find a way to get connected

    ReplyDelete
  2. i too have the same adapter showing but i cannot get it to connect to anything

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the full functional Virtual Wifi will be available in the Windows 7 final release, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Windows 7 is great. One of the Best os ever created.

    ReplyDelete
  5. download connectify its free try it you will like it

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have downloaded connectify and still wont work n windows 7, can nt find wireless adapter.
    any ideas, dorey69@hotmail.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. still yet to see this being used. you cant bridge the wireless network adapter with its virtual network. i tried creating an ad-hoc network for another device to connect to but with the adhoc network waiting for users the normal connection to my router is disconnected. reconnecting to my router leaves the adhoc still waiting but although its shared there's no connectivity. also there seems to be no way to set a new wireless connect to a designated adapter

    ReplyDelete
Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form